Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My husband and I love Carnitas, we just like them spicy! This is a crock pot recipe you finish off in the oven.
- 3 lbs pork butt or 3 lbs pork butt steaks
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 7 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo seasoning, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup juice from jarred jalapeno
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place pork in crock pot.
- Add everything else.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8.
- You want the pork fork tender so you can pull it apart using 2 forks.
- When done place a large mixing bowl on the counter and center a collander.
- Strain the juice from the pork mixture and reserve.
- Return meat mixture to the crock pot and pull the pork apart, leaving small chunks.
- Keep crock pot on warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place pulled pork in a baking pan-single layer.
- Add enough reserved juice to moisten.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meat just starts to brown.
- Serve with hot corn tortillas (I fry mine keeping them soft), sour cream, guac, cheese -- whatever lights your candle.
- This recipe serves 4 for a meal, 6 for a snack.