8 hrs 10 mins
From thekitchn.com. This will get your through a busy week. Cheap, filling, satisfying...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 -8 lb) pork butt, also called pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 8 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 chipotle peppers (canned or dried, I cheat and add 1 tablespoon Tabasco chipotle sauce)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1Trim excess fat from the meat and discard.
- 2Place the meat in a large Crock pot/slow cooker.
- 3Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the meat.
- 4Cover Crock pot and program to cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 5Meat is done when it literally falls off the bone.
- 6When cool enough to handle, lift the meat from the juices and place in a large bowl. Remove the bone, then shred the meat. (I used boneless pork butt.).
- 7Skim the fat from the juices and keep as a medium for re-heating the meat. Or, use the leftover juices as a soup base.
- 8For carnitas tacos: (if necessary reheat) the meat and serve in corn tortillas with all your favorite taco trimmings: fresh cilantro, guacamole, cotija, diced white onion, lime wedges, etc.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnitas Del Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (3298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.1
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.8 mg
- Sodium 814.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 25.8 g