Recipe by COOKGIRl
From thekitchn.com. This will get your through a busy week. Cheap, filling, satisfying...
Top Review by donnaarch
Very yummy. I did add onions and it took a bit longer to cook than directed. Will definitely make it again. Only thing I may change is a little less cinnamon. It was a bit much for us, but we loved it any way. Thanks.
- 1 (6 -8 lb) pork butt, also called pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 8 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 chipotle peppers (canned or dried, I cheat and add 1 tablespoon Tabasco chipotle sauce)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from the meat and discard.
- Place the meat in a large Crock pot/slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the meat.
- Cover Crock pot and program to cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Meat is done when it literally falls off the bone.
- When cool enough to handle, lift the meat from the juices and place in a large bowl. Remove the bone, then shred the meat. (I used boneless pork butt.).
- Skim the fat from the juices and keep as a medium for re-heating the meat. Or, use the leftover juices as a soup base.
- For carnitas tacos: (if necessary reheat) the meat and serve in corn tortillas with all your favorite taco trimmings: fresh cilantro, guacamole, cotija, diced white onion, lime wedges, etc.