1/4 Photos of Carnitas (Authentic)
5 hrs 15 mins
Carnitas is a very famous Mexican dish. It does involve a lot of cooking time, so I make it when I have time. Serve with fresh homemade corn tortillas, guacamole, cheese and pico de gallo with cilantro.....yum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut pork meat into chunks and discard the big pieces of fat. (I leave some fat as it adds flavor).
- 2Add pork chunks, broth, garlic*, comino*, onion* and cilantro* to a dutch oven. If necessary, add water so that the meat is covered.
- 3Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 -4 hours or until meat is very soft and pulls apart easily. (Be careful not to shred meat, needs to stay in chunks).
- 4Remove the meat carefully from pot and place in a roasting pan. Discard onion and broth. Break the meat apart into smaller chunks (don't shred, it needs to stay in chunks).
- 5Bake in the oven at 450°F for about 20 minutes or until the meat is brown and crispy.
- 6Heat (or make homemade) corn tortillas, serve with desired toppings.
- 7(You may have to adjust garlic, comino, onion and cilantro to your liking, everyone's taste is different. You can add salt and pepper if you like too, I use Nature's seasonings, personal preference).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnitas (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.4
- Calories from Fat 560
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 214.8 mg
- Sodium 708.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 54.5 g