Top Review by Countrywife
The pork was moist and tender. I used 4 garlic cloves, but the seasonings are uninspired. Bland, bland, bland. Basically boiled pork. With carrots and potatos it'd be a boiled dinner. It's definately NOT the carnitas I'm used to. The recipie has possibilities, but definately needs work.
- 2 lbs boneless pork, cut into 2 (with some fat)
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (no seeds)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the pork, water, onion, garlic and salt in a large pot or Dutch oven. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the pork is very tender.
- Drain the fat. Melt the lard in a saucepan. As soon as it bubbles, add the orange juice and the milk, then the pork.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until the meat is browned, 15-20 minutes (the orange juice and milk will cook off, leaving the pork brown).
- Drain the meat immediately and place in a colander to let the excess grease run off.
- Serve with hot corn tortillas and salsa, avocado or guacamole. To make the tacos you can add chop onion, cilantro and some drops of freshly squeezed lime juice.