Recipe by katie in the UP
When I was taught to make Carnitas, the wonderful Woman told me it HAD to be simmered in lard. YES it was very good, but not too good for you :( I have experimented and came up with one that suits DH and my tastes (also lifestyle....crockpot!!) This recipe makes alot, but freezes very well. I put it in ziploc bags and just grab one out of the freezer for tacos, burritos and it also makes great taco salads!
- 3 lbs pork sirloin roast, cubed
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 chipotle chiles, chopped (adjust to your own 'heat' taste)
- 4 tablespoons adobo seasoning (from canned chipotles)
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chopped onions and garlic in crockpot.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water add adobo and chipotles, put in crockpot.
- Season pork cubes with salt and oregano and place in crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Spoon cooked pork into a jelly roll pan, pour orange juice and sprinkle orange zest on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally to crisp up all sides of pork cubes.