Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
When I was taught to make Carnitas, the wonderful Woman told me it HAD to be simmered in lard. YES it was very good, but not too good for you :( I have experimented and came up with one that suits DH and my tastes (also lifestyle....crockpot!!) This recipe makes alot, but freezes very well. I put it in ziploc bags and just grab one out of the freezer for tacos, burritos and it also makes great taco salads!
- 3 lbs pork sirloin roast, cubed
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 chipotle chiles, chopped (adjust to your own 'heat' taste)
- 4 tablespoons adobo seasoning (from canned chipotles)
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Place chopped onions and garlic in crockpot.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water add adobo and chipotles, put in crockpot.
- Season pork cubes with salt and oregano and place in crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Spoon cooked pork into a jelly roll pan, pour orange juice and sprinkle orange zest on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally to crisp up all sides of pork cubes.
I use this as a filling for tamales and it comes out amazing every time!
This is one of my favorite recipes. It takes some thinking in advance to start it early in the day but I make a big batch to last us several days.
I think substituting green chiles would make a completely different end-product, though probably a good one. One can of chipotles is to much so I always use a bit and freeze the rest.
Tonight we are having carnitas for "diet" food (Slow Carb--->4 Hour Body). I l %u2665 ve it! DH and I will have it with refried beans, avocado, lettuce and tomato & salsa on top. The kids will have it with cheese on taco shells.
Thanks for this recipe...a staple and a keeper!!
At first I felt it tasted a little too "different" (husband liked it though) -but the next day, I used the carnitas to make tostadas with refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes,, chopped onion & cheese - and it was wonderful, out of this world. I will definitely make this quite often - for company or just for us... Yum!