Recipe by RITLOU2
I was looking for a good carnitas recipe and found this at pepperfool.com. I liked that it is easy and the pork and pinto beans cook in one pot. Smells so good while it is simmering. It is a recipe by Nels Peterson.
Top Review by Mr Jackson
I liked the idea of making two things at once. The beans and the meat came out great. I did make a few modifications. First I cut my roast into four large chunks. Then I used a 32oz of chicken broth and then topped off with water. I also place a good cup of chopped cilantro.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean (soaked)
- 3 lbs pork roast
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces green chili peppers, chopped (one can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients in a dutch oven. Cover and simmer about 5 hours, or until the roast falls apart and the beans are done. Uncover and cook about 1/2 hour until the desired thickness is achieved. Remove pork and shred.
- I used some of the leftover cooking water to make rice to go with the meal. I've also used the leftover cooking water as a base for bean soup. Smashed some of the beans and added some whole to the water. Added more garlic, onions, grated carrots and macaroni. Made a great soup.