Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Haven't tried this recipe yet, but it came highly reccomended.
Make and share this Carnitas recipe from Food.com.
- Trim fat from pork and cut into cubes. Heat oil in large pot and add pork, garlic and onions. Cook over high heat for 5-10 minutes to brown pork.
- Add orange, lime, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper and water to pot; stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove cover and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until liquid has cooked off.
- Press with back of spoon to break up meat.
- Serve as you like. Suggested on flour tortillas with salsa and beans.
We were not a fan. I believe the citrus flavor overwhelmed what may have been a good recipe.
User error? I followed the instructions, but my carnitas turned out DRY. I usually try to be careful to SLOWLY braise dishes like this (and not subject them to a moisture-robbing boil), but it needed a lot of sour cream to compensate for the lack of moisture. The flavor was wonderful. Maybe I need to look for a fattier cut in the future.
I have been looking for a really good carnitas recipe for a while. I can't wait to try this one out.