Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was my Mom's recipe. The meat is used to make tacos and is served with salsa, avocado and fresh cheese (queso ranchero). With a side of arroz rojo (Mexican rice) and a green salad it makes a quick and satisfying meal.
- 1 lb carne asada steak, cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- juice of one lime
- black pepper
- warm corn tortilla, to serve
- avocado, slices
- fresh cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook, stirring often, until bacon begins to brown. With a spatula, slide the onion and bacon to the back side of the skillet.
- At this point the skillet should be very hot. Add the meat and generously season with salt and pepper.Brown on one side and turn over, add the lime juice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the skillet. Cook until the meat is tender and serve with accompaniments.