Cook2 hrs 30 mins
A luscious, tender Mexican beef stew with very basic ingredients. The oven baking makes the meat extremely tender, and the cumin gives it so much flavor! This is a typical Mexican beef stew, simple, with not a lot of vegetables. Serve folded up in warm tortillas, or on rice or with your favorite cornbread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss meat pieces with flour, then brown quickly in oil in an ovenproof Dutch oven.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, beef stock, tomato paste, cumin and chili powder; bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover Dutch oven and place in the preheated oven, baking for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours, until meat is extremely tender.
- Serve as is, or on rice, or folded into warm tortillas.