1/1 Photo of Carne Guisada
3 hrs 15 mins
A mexican style beef stew. You can also serve this over rice or noodles, but I prefer it on tortillas like a burrito. This doubles and freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (more or less to taste)
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth (water can be substituted, adjust seasonings)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon comino
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1Brown beef well in a large cast iron dutch oven, a heavy stainless steel pot can be used with good results.
- 2Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- 3Add stock, chili powder, comino, salt, and pepper.
- 4Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours or until beef is very tender.
- 5In a separate skillet mix flour and oil together to form a roux.
- 6Cook over medium high heat until a dark beige color, about 5 minutes.
- 7Be careful not to let it burn.
- 8Carefully add roux to stewed beef.
- 9Be very careful because it can splatter.
- 10Bring back to a simmer and thicken, simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- 11Serve like a soft taco on flour tortillas with fresh cilantro, chopped onions, shredded cheese and sour cream for garnish.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Guisada
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.2
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 1247.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 22.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: