Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Tex-Mex Beef Stew - Served on Fresh Flour Tortillas with Cheese and Sour Cream
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 lbs boneless beef shoulder (or stew meat)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lard (vegatable oil or olive oil can be substituted but will not give it the same flavor.)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a large stove top casserole pan add lard, (or oil), and turn heat to medium.
- Cut up shoulder roast to 1 inch cubes and add to pan.
- Roughly chop the tomato and add on top of meat.
- Remove seeds from bell pepper, rough chop and add to top of ingredients.
- Rough slice onion and add to pan.
- Chop garlic cloves small and thin and add to top of pan.
- Add cumin, salt and pepper.Now stir all ingredients together. At this time the aromas should be AMAZING!
- Place lid on top and cook on LOW for 3 hours. 30 minutes before carne guisada is ready.
- add flour to water.
- Now you will notice that the vegetables have cooked down to practically nothing. They have converted to pure flavor! Stir flour mixture into pot and let simmer on low for the next 20-30 minutes.
- The final product sits with traditional Mexican rice and homemade flour tortillas.