3 hrs 30 mins
Culinary School Dropout's Note:
Tex-Mex Beef Stew - Served on Fresh Flour Tortillas with Cheese and Sour Cream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 lbs boneless beef shoulder (or stew meat)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lard (vegatable oil or olive oil can be substituted but will not give it the same flavor.)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1In a large stove top casserole pan add lard, (or oil), and turn heat to medium.
- 2Cut up shoulder roast to 1 inch cubes and add to pan.
- 3Roughly chop the tomato and add on top of meat.
- 4Remove seeds from bell pepper, rough chop and add to top of ingredients.
- 5Rough slice onion and add to pan.
- 6Chop garlic cloves small and thin and add to top of pan.
- 7Add cumin, salt and pepper.Now stir all ingredients together. At this time the aromas should be AMAZING!
- 8Place lid on top and cook on LOW for 3 hours. 30 minutes before carne guisada is ready.
- 9add flour to water.
- 10Now you will notice that the vegetables have cooked down to practically nothing. They have converted to pure flavor! Stir flour mixture into pot and let simmer on low for the next 20-30 minutes.
- 11The final product sits with traditional Mexican rice and homemade flour tortillas.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Guisada
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 2.4 mg
- Sodium 1402.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 1.5 g