Recipe by deborah.junger
Carne Guisada is a mexican stew meat... it is one of my favorites when cooked properly. You can eat this in a tortilla or on a plate with rice and beans. Its great with cheese and avacado slices as condiments.
- 1 lb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (medium to hot heat)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge stew meat in flour.
- In a large stock pot brown the beef on medium high heat in 2 tbsp of olive oil. remove meat.
- Add in 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook on medium heat.
- Add in the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 more minute.
- Throw in the browned meat and add herbs, spices, water and canned tomatoes.
- Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil.
- And turn heat down to low and simmer for 5 hours.
- I sometimes take a short cut and dredge and brown the meat in a skillet then throw everything in a crock pot and let simmer on low for 6-8 hours depending on how tender you like the meat. You can also cut down on the water quite a bit when using the crock pot and add water as needed.