Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Carne Guisada is a mexican stew meat... it is one of my favorites when cooked properly. You can eat this in a tortilla or on a plate with rice and beans. Its great with cheese and avacado slices as condiments.
- 1 lb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (medium to hot heat)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- Dredge stew meat in flour.
- In a large stock pot brown the beef on medium high heat in 2 tbsp of olive oil. remove meat.
- Add in 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook on medium heat.
- Add in the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 more minute.
- Throw in the browned meat and add herbs, spices, water and canned tomatoes.
- Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil.
- And turn heat down to low and simmer for 5 hours.
- I sometimes take a short cut and dredge and brown the meat in a skillet then throw everything in a crock pot and let simmer on low for 6-8 hours depending on how tender you like the meat. You can also cut down on the water quite a bit when using the crock pot and add water as needed.
Great for a Mexican meal. We had this, refried beans, quesadillas and Mexican chocolate mousse for dessert. Wow wonderful!
Very good and full of flavor. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
Deborah made this for us when she was visiting and it is FANTASTIC!