Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the closest I could find to Carnitas de Puerco.
- 1 lb pork or 1 lb beef
- 4 green chilies, toasted and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- oil or lard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- salt, pepper
- Cut pork or beef into small cubes.
- Saute in oil until well browned.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add chopped chiles, garlic, onion, tomato and water and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
This was great! I used pork tenderloin, and a can of chopped tomatoes instead of the tomato, also added a small can of kidney beans. My 18 year old loved this, thanks for posting. :)
A great dish! My family loves this one...
I've used this recipe as a base recipe, and have usually quadrupled the ingredients so I can share it at work, with my friends. I add cilantro to mine, and use three times the garlic recommended. Also, a good blend of sweet chiles with a couple of jalapenos has given me best results. Freshest ingredients possible makes the best chile. Love it!