Recipe by Ingrid Nicolich-Obregon
Ingrid's Carne Con Papas. Traditional Cuban meal. For an Italian twist, serve over wide egg noodles and sprinkle cinamon on top!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large italian green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning (I prefer Mrs. Dash)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) canof no-salt tomato sauce
- 16 ounces water
- 8 ounces white wine
- 1⁄4 cup of pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and sliced cross-wise into chunks
- 4 ounces frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add meat and saute until cooked through and brown, turning frequently.
- Add the paprika and cumin and stir to coat meat.
- Add the onions, garlic, green pepper, pepperoncini and bay leaves.
- Season with salt, pepper and seasoning (Mrs. Dash).
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Add white wine and water using empty tomato sauce can.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and olives.
- Cook for about another 30-45 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- (Add water or wine if soup thickens too much).
- Add peas about 15 minutes afterwards.