Recipe by MomLuvs6
For ZWT 5. Found this in-The Cookbook of the United Nations. Time does not include marinating for 24 hours.
Top Review by Gerry
Having filled the freezer with beef this recipe made for a delicious pot roast for a package of rump roast. Loved the addition of onions and used freshly ground cracked pepper. Marinating made for tender beef. I enjoyed the sauce - but next time will only use half the saved marinade and sub the rest with broth to make everyone happy. And yes there will be a next time for this Portuguese pot roast. Thank you for sharing.
- 4 -5 lbs boned rump roast
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place roast in a glass oblong pan, add red wine, 2 sliced onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Put in refrigerator and marinate for 24 hrs and turn a few times.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy kettle with lid, add the remaining 1 sliced onion, brown, remove and save for later.
- Remove roast from marinade, drain and dry. Save marinade for later.
- Brown roast in hot oil on all sides, add browned onions and marinade.
- Add water. Water should cover 2/3's of the roast.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 4 to 4 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
- The last half hour, add sliced tomatoes and cook uncovered for the last 30 minutes.
- You can strain and thicken the sauce, if desired.