Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
For ZWT 5. Found this in-The Cookbook of the United Nations. Time does not include marinating for 24 hours.
- 4 -5 lbs boned rump roast
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Place roast in a glass oblong pan, add red wine, 2 sliced onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Put in refrigerator and marinate for 24 hrs and turn a few times.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy kettle with lid, add the remaining 1 sliced onion, brown, remove and save for later.
- Remove roast from marinade, drain and dry. Save marinade for later.
- Brown roast in hot oil on all sides, add browned onions and marinade.
- Add water. Water should cover 2/3's of the roast.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 4 to 4 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
- The last half hour, add sliced tomatoes and cook uncovered for the last 30 minutes.
- You can strain and thicken the sauce, if desired.
Having filled the freezer with beef this recipe made for a delicious pot roast for a package of rump roast. Loved the addition of onions and used freshly ground cracked pepper. Marinating made for tender beef. I enjoyed the sauce - but next time will only use half the saved marinade and sub the rest with broth to make everyone happy. And yes there will be a next time for this Portuguese pot roast. Thank you for sharing.
This was delicious. Due to some real life issues, I ended up cooking this one night (snitching a piece to taste, YUM), refrigerating it, and then reheating it the next night. To make sure that it didn't get tough during the reheat, I made a quick gravy from the cooking liquid I saved from last night, then added about half of the onions and used my immersion blender to make it an oniony gravy (as my family is not big on big chunks of onion). Then I sliced the cold roast thinly and submerged each slice and the rest of the onions in the gravy and let it simmer slowly while I fixed the rest of dinner. It was just as yummy and tender as the night before! Thank you for posting. Made for ZWT5, for the Groovy GastroGnomes.
My son and I loved it but the rest of my family didn't care for it. I used a good Cabernet Sauvignon and reduced the sauce to pass at the table. Made for ZWT5.