This recipe has been in my family for many years. Originally, we are from Jalisco, Mexico where this Mexican favorite originated. This is better than anything you'll ever get in a "corporate" mexican restaurant in the U.S. Sorry, El Torito... Prep time does not include marinating time of one hour (min).
- In a large ziploc bag, place beer, oregano (rub between palms to crush while adding), cumin, orange juice, sugar and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, making it a bit on the salty side.
- Add red pepper flakes and achiote powder, if using. Achiote gives it a nice color and a subtle taste.
- Zip bag closed and shake or knead to blend all ingredients well.
- Add flank steak, zip closed and combine to saturate all sides of beef. Refrigerate at least one hour, turning and shaking bag from time to time.
- Drink rest of beer while meat is marinating.
- Place meat on hot grill, turning only once, about four minutes per side for medium well.
- When done to your liking, place meat on cutting board, let rest for a few minutes, then cut into small 1/2 inch pieces.
- Serve with warm corn and/or flour tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream (or crema fresca). Beans and mexican rice on the side - see my recipe for the rice.