1/4 Photos of Carne Asada - the Real Deal
This recipe has been in my family for many years. Originally, we are from Jalisco, Mexico where this Mexican favorite originated. This is better than anything you'll ever get in a "corporate" mexican restaurant in the U.S. Sorry, El Torito... Prep time does not include marinating time of one hour (min).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large ziploc bag, place beer, oregano (rub between palms to crush while adding), cumin, orange juice, sugar and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, making it a bit on the salty side.
- 2Add red pepper flakes and achiote powder, if using. Achiote gives it a nice color and a subtle taste.
- 3Zip bag closed and shake or knead to blend all ingredients well.
- 4Add flank steak, zip closed and combine to saturate all sides of beef. Refrigerate at least one hour, turning and shaking bag from time to time.
- 5Drink rest of beer while meat is marinating.
- 6Place meat on hot grill, turning only once, about four minutes per side for medium well.
- 7When done to your liking, place meat on cutting board, let rest for a few minutes, then cut into small 1/2 inch pieces.
- 8Serve with warm corn and/or flour tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream (or crema fresca). Beans and mexican rice on the side - see my recipe for the rice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Asada - the Real Deal
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 125.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 48.6 g