Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A spicy take on your standard steak sandwich.
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs round steaks (1/4 - 1/3 inch thick, can use flank or skirt steak as well)
- 1⁄2 cup regular mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise (I use Hellman's light mayo)
- 1 tablespoon pureed canned chipotle chile in adobo (you can usually find this in the ethnic aisle of a larger grocery store)
- 6 hard rolls or 6 focaccia bread or 6 other buns
- 2 avocados, halved,pitted,peeled,thinly sliced
- Rinse the onion slices in a strainer under cold running water.
- Pat dry; place in a bowl.
- Cover with the red wine vinegar.
- Set aside for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Pound the garlic with salt, using a mortar and pestle, to make a paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and incorporate it into the garlic.
- Slowly add the olive oil, stirring with the pestle to incorporate it.
- (If you don't have a mortar and pestle, this can be done in a food processor.) Spoon the garlic mixture over the steak, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
- Season with salt.
- Turn the meat over and do the same with the other side.
- Combine the mayonnaise, pureed chipotle and sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon of the lime juice in another small bowl.
- Grill or fry the beef over high heat, 3 minutes.
- Turn; cook to medium rare, 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Cut the rolls in half; spread each half with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle mayonnaise.
- Arrange the avocado slices on the top half of the roll; top with a few onion rings.
- Cut the meat into pieces roughly the size of the bread; arrange on the onion rings.
- Add the bottom half of the roll; press gently to compact everything together.
YUMM! Fast, easy, and cheap too! I prepared it as described except I used greek-style pita bread (no pockets) instead of rolls, and I also added some cilantro... just because. Served with a side of steamed broccoli and chips. Husband AND kids declared it a keeper. Thanks!