A spicy take on your standard steak sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs round steaks (1/4 - 1/3 inch thick, can use flank or skirt steak as well)
- 1/2 cup regular mayonnaise or 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (I use Hellman's light mayo)
- 1 tablespoon pureed canned chipotle chile in adobo (you can usually find this in the ethnic aisle of a larger grocery store)
- 6 hard rolls or 6 focaccia bread or 6 other buns
- 2 avocados, halved,pitted,peeled,thinly sliced
- 1Rinse the onion slices in a strainer under cold running water.
- 2Pat dry; place in a bowl.
- 3Cover with the red wine vinegar.
- 4Set aside for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- 5Pound the garlic with salt, using a mortar and pestle, to make a paste.
- 6Add 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and incorporate it into the garlic.
- 7Slowly add the olive oil, stirring with the pestle to incorporate it.
- 8(If you don't have a mortar and pestle, this can be done in a food processor.) Spoon the garlic mixture over the steak, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
- 9Season with salt.
- 10Turn the meat over and do the same with the other side.
- 11Combine the mayonnaise, pureed chipotle and sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon of the lime juice in another small bowl.
- 12Grill or fry the beef over high heat, 3 minutes.
- 13Turn; cook to medium rare, 1-2 minutes.
- 14Set aside.
- 15Cut the rolls in half; spread each half with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle mayonnaise.
- 16Arrange the avocado slices on the top half of the roll; top with a few onion rings.
- 17Cut the meat into pieces roughly the size of the bread; arrange on the onion rings.
- 18Add the bottom half of the roll; press gently to compact everything together.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Asada Sandwiches With Chipotle Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.2 mg
- Sodium 1308.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 41.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo