Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Carne asada, or grilled meat, is great backyard grill food. It is enjoyed throughout Central America and Mexico. Many recipes get very elaborate with the marinade ingredients, but the original recipe relies on a simple combination of onions and citrus juice to highlight the flavor of the beef. The ingredient measurements are pretty vague, but it lets you make it according to your own taste. Personally, I would use the maximum amounts of everything. Enjoy!
- 2 -3 lbs flank steaks or 2 -3 lbs skirt steaks
- 1 -2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 oranges, juice only
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- In a large stainless steel or glass bowl, mix the meat with the onions, orange juice, salt, pepper and oil. Cover and marinate at least 1 hour, or better yet overnight.
- Start a good fire in your grill, preferably with mesquite charcoal. Remove the meat from its marinade, pat dry and grill over hot flame until the first side is well browned, from 5-7 minutes.
- Turn the meat over and grill on the other side until cooked to desired doneness. Remove to a clean platter.
- Slice meat into thin strips across the grain and serve as a topping for tostadas or as a filling for tacos or burritos.
- Add some lime juice along with the orange juice in the marinade. Or use sour orange juice (naranja agria) if you can find it.
- Other possible marinade additions include ground cumin, chili powder and chopped cilantro. Everyone has their own favorites.
Excellent, wonderful flavor. I used flank steak and marinated for about 6 hours. Next time I might add some minced garlic and white wine to the marinade. Thanks :> Made for ZWT7 Golden Gourmets.
This was good. I couldn't taste much flavor from the marinade, & though the meat was tender I don't know that it was any more so than usual. I marinated it for about an hour and half using my Vacu Seal marinater. Made for ZWT 7 for the Food.commnados
This is so yummy. The steak was in the marinade for probably only 6 hours. It turned out so good and juicy. DH cooked the onions on the bbq and I was lucky to have them all cause I'm the only one to love onions :) Thanks Nif :) Made for Count Dracula and His Hot Bites for ZWT7