Recipe by Tish
You need to coordinate this meal so you are cooking one part while setting up the next. A great version of steak and potatoes Mexican style
- 2 jalapeno chiles
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 small white onion, stem end untrimmed and cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed or minced to a paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (10 ounce) top sirloin steaks
- 8 new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- TO PREPARE SALSA: Place the chiles and tomatoes under the broiler and, turning them often, blacken the skins.
- Stem and seed the chiles, coarsely chop them together with the tomatoes, and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the pan and dry-roast for 10 minutes, turning often.
- Add the garlic and dry-roast for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan, let cool, and then coarsely chop.
- Add to the mixing bowl together with the cumin, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, and salt, and mix together.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- (If not using within 1 hour, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before using.) TO PREPARE MARINADE: Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Rub the mixture on both sides of the steaks and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- TO PREPARE PAPAS: Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain and transfer the potatoes to a bowl of ice water until they are completely cool.
- Drain the potatoes again, dry thoroughly, and cut into quarters.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and toss with the oil, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on the hot grill and cook for about 10 minutes, or until light brown and crisp.
- Keep warm.
- TO PREPARE STEAKS: Preheat the broiler.
- Grill the steaks for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or about 6 minutes per side for medium; the marinade will give the exterior of the steaks a little crispness.
- TO SERVE: Place the steaks in the center of each warm serving plate and spoon the salsa next to the steaks.
- Place the potatoes next to the steaks and salsa.