1/1 Photo of Carne Asada
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
A Cuban version of the Spanish/Mexican classic. Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 4 -5 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 7 ounces canned roasted bell peppers or 2 fresh bell peppers, roasted
- 1In mortar or heavy bowl, mash garlic, salt, cumin, and oregano; blend spices into vinegar and lemon juice and mix well.
- 2Score meat in a cross-hatch pattern with deep cuts; rub spice blend into meat, making sure it gets into cuts.
- 3Marinate meat 1-4 hours in spice marinade.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 5Drain marinade from meat and reserve.
- 6Coat meat in flour and shake away excess.
- 7In roasting pan over heat on stove, heat onions in olive oil.
- 8Add meat and brown on all sides.
- 9Add reserved marinade, wine, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, and roasted bell peppers.
- 10Cover and roast in oven at 350 degrees F.
- 11for 2 hours, basting occasionally, turning meat over several times.
- 12Add a mixture of three parts water, one part wine to the pan if the meat starts to stick and the marinade gets low.
- 13Remove meat from pan, slice, and roast for 20-25 minutes longer, until meat tests done.
- 14Check sauce for seasoning; strain and serve over meat, if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carne Asada
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.6
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sirloin tip roast