Recipe by KlynnPadilla
One of my DH's favorite meals (and mine too, because it's cheap and easy). I received quite a culture shock when he showed me how to make this, but it's actually quite good. I try to keep an open mind! Also, I don't really measure when I make this, so please feel free to adjust as needed to suit your taste.
Top Review by pixielee43_11494785
Oh so that's what this is called..lol. I have made this for years and as I think about it, I can not remember when, where or how I came about having this recipe. The only difference is that I use lemons and jalapenos and I add fresh minced garlic, and no vinegar. It is often requested at family get togethers, especially by my son. Thanks for posting, now it has a name instead of "that hamburger dish"
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 4 -6 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 serranos, seeded and minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 5 -7 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, serranos, onion and cilantro. Add meat and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, and add lime juice and vinegar. You don't want too much lime juice/vinegar, just enough to thoroughly distribute through the meat to 'cook' it. I usually start with about 4 or 5 limes, and go from there. Sometimes I don't use the vinegar.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 to 2 hours, stirring well every 30 minutes or so, and adding more lime juice if necessary. It may not take 2 hours, you just want the beef to be mostly brown.
- I serve with tortilla chips and Salsa Valentina (found in Mexican food aisle).