Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This, the only thing I can compare it to, is steak tartare, mexican style. This is like a ceviche, but with lean ground beef, so technically, the beef is raw cooked by acids in lemon. If you are not open to things like this, please skip this one. I love this since the first time I tried it, and everyone I have given it to has liked it as well, but some do not want to try it when I tell them the raw beef part.
- 1 lb ground beef (must be lean....like 99% lean)
- 8 ounces lemon juice
- coarse salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly minced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, medium dice
- 1⁄4 cup onion, medium dice
- 2 chipotle peppers, cut in strips
- In a shallow dish (i use a shallow baking dish) spread out the ground beef evenly. Pour the lemon juice on it and mix it in well with a fork.
- Leave in refrigerator overnight, mixing with a fork every few hours so as to "cook" the beef.
- When ready to serve, add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chipotle peppers, salt, and pepper.
- I usually serve this on tostadas with a little hot sauce (valentina brand preferred, found in mexican section in grocery stores.).
I don't "cook" it over night more like an hour or so as long as the meat is no longer red. And i'll have to try it with the chipotle peppers that sounds like a good addition to the recipe. I've eatten this since i was a little girl and it is still my favorite dish. Thanks.