Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A side dish everyone will be raving about. the key ingredient is evaporated milk. Green onions or cooked bacon may be added if desired.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes (6 med)
- 1 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- Cook potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Return potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter.
- Beat with hand mixer until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is the only way my mom makes mashed potatoes. She doesn't measure the evaporated milk. She starts mashing the potatoes, with the butter and salt/pepper and adds the milk gradually until the potatoes are the desired consistency. I made these last night to serve with the leftovers from your Crazy Chicken recipe and used about 3/4 cup of the milk. I used the really large baking potatoes though. Thanks for posting this.
Perfect mashed potatos. Taking into account the previous reviews, I used only half a cup of evaporated milk...even though I had almost three pounds of potatoes. The result was smooth potatoes of a perfect consistency.
My Mom always used evaporated milk to mash her potatoes. This recipe tasted every close to hers. The potatoes were very creamy. We liked them. Thanks Fluffy. Bullwinkle.