Prep 4 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I lost the specific origin of this recipe. It was inspired by The Sopranos and Carmela's strategically delivered ricotta pie. This pie is creamy and dense . . . delish!
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces canned pineapple, crushed, well drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pie crust in a 10 inch or 9 1/2 inch deep dish pie plate. Poke holes in crust with a fork.
- Combine ricotta, yolks, and sugar. Beat until lemon colored.
- Add lemon zest, juice, pineapple and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into ricotta mixture.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool pie on wire rack. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours to set. Serve cold.