Recipe by Enjolinfam
One of the most nutritious bread you'll find! Full of healthy ingredients, and it tastes great too! ;) This bread was created by my good friend Carmen Witzig. Sometimes she uses 1 cup sorgum in place of one of the cups of whole wheat flour.
Top Review by Okra
Three stars for taste. This recipe has potential, I think, but certainly needs better instructions, especially for anyone not familiar with the bread making process. For instance, what are you supposed to do between steps 3 and 4? And when you knead it, shouldn't you knead it on a floured surface? Should the first rise take place right on the counter or in a greased bowl? Covered or not? Till doubled or what? What size pan should it be baked in? Is it supposed to rise a second time?
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 600 ml warm water (NOT hot)
- 1 -2 cup flour, for kneading
- sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all of the dry ingredients (except yeast, sugar, and sesame seeds) together in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl mix the yeast and sugar and add the warm (room temperature) water.
- Knead well for at least 5 minutes. When the dough gets sticky add more flour.
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for one hour or more.
- Knead the dough again a few times and put it in an oiled pan.
- If you want to add sesame seeds to the top, smear the top of the dough with water first so they'll stick better.
- Bake it for 45-50 minutes at 180 C or 350°F.