Recipe by ClareVH
The recipe comes from some Carmelite Nuns who run a Nursing Home. The original recipe serves 50, but I reduced the amounts while retaining the proportions. Making Flan has always intimidated me, but I have made this recipe several times with great results. It may indeed be foolproof!
- 5 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggs, sweetened condensed milk, water and vanilla in a blender jar.
- Blend until well mixed and frothy, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Set aside.
- Melt sugar over medium-low heat in small skillet, stirring constantly, until caramelized (sugar melts and turns light brown).
- Divide caramelized sugar equally among 5 10-ounce custard cups, tilting to cover the entire bottom.
- Pour egg mixture on top of caramelized sugar, dividing equally among the cups.
- Set custard cups in a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan to come about halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
- Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill completely in refrigerator.
- To serve, run a thin knife or spatula around the rim of each flan to loosen, then turn custards out on individual dessert plates, with caramel on top.