Recipe by EatsLikeABunny
This is my favorite recipe invention. It makes enough for a crowd, so if you are interested in making it for fewer than 10 people, I suggest cutting the recipe in half. It is also good if you just add all the ingredients into the slow cooker, minus the Tempeh. (brown and add the tempeh for the last 30 minutes of slow cooker cooking time). Simmer it all day, and not only will you have a great dinner ready when you get home from work, but your house will smell wonderful.
- 2 lbs baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) packages tempeh, cut into bite sized squares
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 yellow squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (not drained)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes (squished)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped,to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop all veggies place in separate containers.
- In a wok, brown tempeh, then saute mushrooms, onions and bell pepper with tempeh mixture.
- Adding more olive oil as needed, because the mushrooms will absorb oil quickly.
- In a large pot, pour all the tomato products, add seasonings and beans.
- When tomato mixture is bubbling, add squashes.
- Cook about 10 minutes then add mixture from wok, cooking juices and all.
- Simmer about 20 minutes then add garlic in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with cornbread or tortillas.
- Salad makes a great side dish for this meal.