Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can honestly say I have checked every Taco Salad recipe listed here. I found many but not the kind of Taco Salad I was looking for... so I've posted my own. It's a hearty, filling meal I know you will enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried and chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 scallions, finely sliced
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (Medium, Hot, Extra Hot, your choice!)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large non-stick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and turn heat to high.
- Brown meat, stirring constantly, until crumbly, about 5 minutes; drain off any excess fat.
- Lower heat and add paprkia, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the 1 cup of water and tomato paste; blend well.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to low.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ASSEMBLE TACO SALAD:.
- Place equal amounts of romaine lettuce on 4 plates.
- Spoon a healthy amount of taco mixture over lettuce.
- Top each plate equally in the following order chopped tomatoes, shredded Cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp sour cream, green onions and a dollop of salsa.
- Serve & enjoy!
This salad was a wonderful choice among all the similar recipes here at Zaar! We enjoyed every last bite at dinner last night. I subbed pre-shredded 3 cheese Mexi-blend for the cheddar cheese & mixed the sour cream & extra hot salsa to use as the dressing. Served with Homemade Baked Chips (Tortilla or Pita) it made a great, quick meal. Thanks for sharing!