Recipe by Cookingfor7
This recipe has so many spices that I started keeping this mix pre-made. This mix recipe is just enough for one sloppy joe recipe (1 pound of ground meat). A lot of times I will finish the recipe and then keep the filling in the freezer.
Top Review by Chef GreanEyes
made this to use in our camper rather than having packaged mixes! smells super yummy and the only problem is I keep forgetting to actually MAKE sloppy joes! but i am sure they will be wonderful with the aroma i get every time i open that jar! thanks Cookingfor7!!
Update: Made 8/31/2012 and smelled wonderful throughout my kitchen!! (precooked to take for a quick first-day camping meal). Such a bold, spice induced flavor! Tired of the same old sloppy joes, so this recipe was perfect! It will be my go to recipe for now on!! Everyone loved them... even the one that says she doesn't like sloppy joes. thank you, thank you, thank you!!
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE SLOPPY JOES
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together 1st 12 ingredients (all spices and brown sugar) and store in a ziploc bag.
- When ready to make sloppy Joes, brown ground turkey in large skillet.
- Mix in spice packet, then add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until desired consistency.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
- Note: I also make this entire recipe (minus the buns -- ) in advance for freezing.