Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has so many spices that I started keeping this mix pre-made. This mix recipe is just enough for one sloppy joe recipe (1 pound of ground meat). A lot of times I will finish the recipe and then keep the filling in the freezer.
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE SLOPPY JOES
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Mix together 1st 12 ingredients (all spices and brown sugar) and store in a ziploc bag.
- When ready to make sloppy Joes, brown ground turkey in large skillet.
- Mix in spice packet, then add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until desired consistency.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
- Note: I also make this entire recipe (minus the buns -- ) in advance for freezing.
made this to use in our camper rather than having packaged mixes! smells super yummy and the only problem is I keep forgetting to actually MAKE sloppy joes! but i am sure they will be wonderful with the aroma i get every time i open that jar! thanks Cookingfor7!!
Update: Made 8/31/2012 and smelled wonderful throughout my kitchen!! (precooked to take for a quick first-day camping meal). Such a bold, spice induced flavor! Tired of the same old sloppy joes, so this recipe was perfect! It will be my go to recipe for now on!! Everyone loved them... even the one that says she doesn't like sloppy joes. thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Carla, I made your Sloppy Joes for lunch today. They were spicy, thick and rich, but also very good. This is one sloppy joe recipe I think my husband will definitely like. When making the sloppy joes, I did sub diced green bell peppers for the green pepper flakes, as I had bell peppers in the fridge, and besides, I enjoy bell peppers in my sloppy joes. I also subbed Lawry's Season Salt for the table salt. I really enjoyed these served with shredded Mexican cheese. Since the sauce is rather thick, I will be nuking them in the microwave when I reheat them. Carla, thank you for posting this delcious sloppy joe recipe. I look forward to making them again.
We've used this recipe several times now and the whole family loves it. I usually use real green pepper though. Thanks.