Recipe by Sharon123
Try this American classic....with a Carla Hall twist! Make the pie crust with the recipe here or buy one ready made at the store.
Top Review by lolsuz
I made this for a party over the weekend and it turned out great. All I had was frozen cranberries but in my opinion it's perfect that way. An excellent balance between sweet and tart... and the crumble topping is a GREAT idea. All the ingredients are stuff I almost always have in stock, too... a great recipe for us and I've printed it to add to my faves. Thanks so much!
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chilled butter (8 oz.-cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 granny smith apples (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon (zest and juiced)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- For flaky pie crust(if using storebought crust, skip this):.
- Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt). If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed with mixer, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water from previous step into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- Roll chilled pastry dish out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Prick all over dough with a fork. Bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- For Cranberry Apple Filling:.
- In a large bowl, combine apples and cranberries (frozen and dried) Stir in salt, sugars (brown and granulated), nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in the zest and juice of 1 lemon. If you don't like cranberries try dried cherries or raisins instead.
- In a small bowl, combine water, cornstarch, and vanilla. Quickly stir mixture into apples. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Fill pie dish with apple filling.
- For Crumble Topping:
- Place all the topping ingredients into food processor and process until butter has been cut into the mixture. Carla tip: if you overmix your crumble just add extra nuts or oatmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over top of pie filling. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.