Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Try this American classic....with a Carla Hall twist! Make the pie crust with the recipe here or buy one ready made at the store.
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chilled butter (8 oz.-cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 granny smith apples (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon (zest and juiced)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- For flaky pie crust(if using storebought crust, skip this):.
- Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt). If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed with mixer, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water from previous step into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- Roll chilled pastry dish out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Prick all over dough with a fork. Bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- For Cranberry Apple Filling:.
- In a large bowl, combine apples and cranberries (frozen and dried) Stir in salt, sugars (brown and granulated), nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in the zest and juice of 1 lemon. If you don't like cranberries try dried cherries or raisins instead.
- In a small bowl, combine water, cornstarch, and vanilla. Quickly stir mixture into apples. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Fill pie dish with apple filling.
- For Crumble Topping:
- Place all the topping ingredients into food processor and process until butter has been cut into the mixture. Carla tip: if you overmix your crumble just add extra nuts or oatmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over top of pie filling. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
I made this for a party over the weekend and it turned out great. All I had was frozen cranberries but in my opinion it's perfect that way. An excellent balance between sweet and tart... and the crumble topping is a GREAT idea. All the ingredients are stuff I almost always have in stock, too... a great recipe for us and I've printed it to add to my faves. Thanks so much!
This kind of pie is at the top of my list (well, along with mince pie!) of holiday desserts, but I also stock my pantry & freezer with both mince AND cranberries so that I can have 'em anytime of the year! Although I followed your ingredient list, I did use 5 large apples along with 3/4 cup each of the dried & frozen cranberries, & ended up baking the pie a bit longer as well, using a piece of foil to keep the top from browning too fast! Delicious to a fault! Many thanks for sharing these recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Delicious apple/cranberry pie - loved the contrast of the apples, dried and fresh cranberries (had to use fresh - no frozen available). Next time I will make the pie crust from scratch vs. buying a store-bought crust; although, the store-bought crust was just fine. The only thing I might do differently next time is lower the temp to 350 and cook the pie a bit longer to get the apples more tender. I might also reduce the amount of water that is mixed with the cornstarch to make the sauce a little thicker. DH loved it just the way it was! I will definitely make this wonderful pie again. Made for the Newest Zaar Tag, November, 2011.