1 hr 10 mins
Try this American classic....with a Carla Hall twist! Make the pie crust with the recipe here or buy one ready made at the store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chilled butter (8 oz.-cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 granny smith apples (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon (zest and juiced)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1For flaky pie crust(if using storebought crust, skip this):.
- 2Combine water, salt, and sugar in measuring cup. Stir and place cup in fridge for at least 15 min (to chill water and to dissolve sugar and salt). If possible, chill mixing bowl and paddle attachment if possible.
- 3Combine flour and butter pieces in mixing bowl. On medium speed with mixer, cut butter into flour until butter pieces are the size of small pebbles. With the mixer running, pour the water from previous step into the butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together.
- 4Separate the dough into 2 disks. Wrap each with film and chill.
- 5Roll chilled pastry dish out to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Prick all over dough with a fork. Bake on 375 for 10-15 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- 6For Cranberry Apple Filling:.
- 7In a large bowl, combine apples and cranberries (frozen and dried) Stir in salt, sugars (brown and granulated), nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in the zest and juice of 1 lemon. If you don't like cranberries try dried cherries or raisins instead.
- 8In a small bowl, combine water, cornstarch, and vanilla. Quickly stir mixture into apples. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- 9Fill pie dish with apple filling.
- 10For Crumble Topping:
- 11Place all the topping ingredients into food processor and process until butter has been cut into the mixture. Carla tip: if you overmix your crumble just add extra nuts or oatmeal.
- 12Sprinkle topping over top of pie filling. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carla Hall's Cranberry Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 959.1
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.6 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 835.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 68.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g