Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very difficult dessert to make....UNTIL NOW! This pudding/cake recipe can take HOURS to make! This version takes less than an hour, not counting chilling. I love the presentation and how folks think I SLAVED to make this! Comes from Better Homes And Gardens, 1966.
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk (*)
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped stiff (**)
- 8 sponge cake shells
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- * Please do not use anything less than 2% milk, but I strongly suggest whole milk.
- **Must use "made from scratch", as store bought ready-made is not stiff enough.
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Cook and stir over boiling water till marshmallows melt. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate, coffee and cimmamon.
- Fold 1/2 cup chocolate mixture into whipped cream; cover and chill.
- Frost sides and top edge of dessert cups with remaining chocolate mixture, roll in chopped nuts.
- Spoon in chilled cream filling.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- I have used pistachios instead of walnuts and mint chocolate pieces instead of semisweet. This was also good but is not in keeping with the true flavors of a Carioca.