Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Right Tasty! Cook times vary with roast size.
- 1 caribou roast
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 cup gin
- Combine all the marinade ingredients except the gin.
- Bring to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes, remove from the heat, add gin and cool.
- Place roast in marinade to cover.
- Let stand refrigerated for 48 hours or more.
- Remove from the marinade; place on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan and drape with bacon.
- Roast uncovered in a preheated 350 degree F.
- oven for 15 min per pound.
- Remove the bacon for the last 30 minutes of cooking and baste roast with the strained marinade and pan drippings.
- Remove the roast and let sit 5-10 min before carving.
- With a little butter and flour make a gravy from the pan drippings and balance of the marinade.
- The gin is juniper flavored alcohol and juniper is a traditional game flavoring.
- The gin works quite well if you don't have any whole juniper berries available.