Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
My grandmother came up with this recipe to use up some larger than life zucchini that came from her garden. This is an easy way to use up those leftover bananas too!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat an oven to 325ºF (165ºC). Grease and flour 2 (9-x5-inch) loaf pans.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl. Beat the bananas, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla together in a separate large bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Fold the zucchini, walnuts, and coconut into the batter until evenly combined. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pans for 25 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
This is a real winner and makes two huge loaves to enjoy! I love the combination of all the varied ingredients - it has all my favorites. I made this exactly as posted, and will be making this again. Made for I Recommend Tag Game.
This makes a tasy and healthy bread, my husband particularly liked the combo of zucchini and banana, it is deliciously moist and smells wonderful, a keeper!! Thank you Elizabth, glad I tried it for ZWT9, Family Picks, Pink Panthers
Very tasty and moist. A great blend on ingredients and flavors although next time I think I'll add more coconut. I made this into muffins. It made 15 1/3 cup portions which were just the right size for the amount of rise. It took 35 minutes in my oven.