Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful Latin Kitchen recipe. It looks like there are a lot of ingredients and directions but it's easy, easy, easy!! You can serve this on a platter with slices of fresh tomato and avocado on top. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon puerto rican seasoning salt (1 envelope, called Sazon, the one with cilantro and achiote)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 6 cups boiling water
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat, until a piece of onion sizzles when added. Add garlic, peppers and onions to oil. Stir veggies; turn heat down to medium when onions start to brown around the edges. Add tomatoes, stirring until heated through.
- Add all seasonings and continue to stir over medium heat until veggies are evenly coated. While cooking the vegetables, rinse the rice 3 times, until the water runs clear. Add rinsed rice to veggies, stirring for approximately 1 minute, coating rice with the seasoned veggie mix.
- Pour in hot water and stir well, making sure to scrape any rice off the bottom and sides of the pot.
- Let rice come to a boil and partly dry out. Watch for when holes or pockets appear on rice, lower heat to lowest setting and then cover with lid. Keep covered for 25 minutes - do NOT remove lid.
- Uncover, stir rice and serve.