Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from a Carnival Cook book and I have made many times for my family - it is very simple to make and utterly delicious!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups okra, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 2 plantains, quartered & sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- chopped cilantro (to garnish)
for the spaetzle noodles
- 1⁄2 lb flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and garlic & cook until soft & translucent. Add the rest of the chopped veggies & saute for a few minutes. Add stock & coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low & simmer for 2-3 hours or until soup thickens. Season with salt & pepper.
- For the Spaetzle: combine the ingredients to form dough. If you don't have a spaetzle mill a colander with large holes will work - put the colander over the boiling pot of soup & push the dough through the colander as to form "worms". The dough only takes a few minutes to cook so add it right before you're ready to take the soup of the stove.
- Garnish with the chopped cilantro & serve for everyone to enjoy.