Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 9 mins
- 2 cups rice
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled,quartered
- 3 bananas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 cup yogurt
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- As rice cooks refrigerate cooked eggs for later use.
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise, making 12 pieces total.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt half the butter (reserve remainder).
- Sauté bananas until lightly browned on both sides for about 4 minutes.
- Set bananas aside in a covered dish and hold warm.
- Melt remaining butter over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, apple and garlic until tender (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in curry, lemon peel, ginger, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes and toss until evenly coated.
- Add black-eyed peas, kidney beans, vegetable stock and raisins.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in yogurt until well mixed.
- Place cooked rice on a serving platter.
- Arrange reserved banana pieces on platter.
- Spoon bean mixture over top.
- Garnish with egg wedges, radish, green onion, cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve immediately.
Wow, this was excellent and simple.
yum yum yummy!! My familes first time at triying Caribbean food and we loved this recipe! Thank you for sharing
We liked it a lot. Having made it once, you can think of all kinds of variations to change the dish and experiment. The bananas / plantains are great!