Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The basis for this recipe came from the NC Agriculture web site. I've adapted it somewhat, based on personal preference and experimentation. We love this recipe and it's so easy. You can make it in a crock pot if you prefer. It has so many wonderful flavors that combine to make it simply yummy! NOTE: You can subsitute hot italian sausage for the Chorizo if necessary but, the chorizo is preferred. It has better texture and flavor for this recipe.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes (& juice)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (& juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- chopped fresh parsley (for garnish) (optional)
- Peel & dice the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Cut chicken and sausage into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine in a large soup kettle or crock pot with remaining ingredients (except parsley).
- Cover and simmer for 4 hours on low heat or until sweet potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley.