Incredibly easy but lovely enough for company. The assortment of condiments allows guest to tailor the entry to taste.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium limes, juice of
- 3 tablespoons ginger, finely grated (or minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 large bananas, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 cup sliced unblanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- For the soup, place sweet potatoes, a cup of the coconut milk and the broth in a stock pot. Bring to a low boil and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Place potatoes and liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding lime juice and the remaining coconut milk as needed.
- For the shrimp, mix together the ingredients in a plastic bag. Marinade the cleaned shrimp for one hour in the fridge. Broil or grill shrimp for five minutes until done.
- For the bananas, place banana slices in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Broil 2-3 minutes. Turn bananas over and broil another minute or two until they are a bit soft and lightly browned.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with shrimp. Serve condiments in small bowls on the side.