Incredibly easy but lovely enough for company. The assortment of condiments allows guest to tailor the entry to taste.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced into 1 inch cubes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium limes, juice of
- 3 tablespoons ginger, finely grated (or minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 large bananas, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 cup sliced unblanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- For the soup, place sweet potatoes, a cup of the coconut milk and the broth in a stock pot. Bring to a low boil and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Place potatoes and liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding lime juice and the remaining coconut milk as needed.
- For the shrimp, mix together the ingredients in a plastic bag. Marinade the cleaned shrimp for one hour in the fridge. Broil or grill shrimp for five minutes until done.
- For the bananas, place banana slices in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Broil 2-3 minutes. Turn bananas over and broil another minute or two until they are a bit soft and lightly browned.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with shrimp. Serve condiments in small bowls on the side.
wow is right this soup is delicious and easy to make, my DH loved this, thanks for sharing Toni!...Kitten:)
Simply lovely! This soup has a light flavor and you can taste each element. I did omit the bananas as I am not fond of them cooked. Terrific job on this one toni!!!
WOW - I love this one. It is very easy to make. The 'most difficult' part is to broil the banana slices. The colour of the soup is wonderful and tempting. And after the first mouthful you will know it not only looks tempting, it is one of the best sweet potato soups. I like the addition of lime juice. This results in a fresh taste with a delicate citrus note, which compensate the more sweet flavors of the sweet potato. I have cooked the shrimp in the marinade, which add so much flavor to the shrimp. The condiments are another exciting addition. The sweetness of the banana, the crisp almonds slices with the roasted flavors. And the coconut as a reflection of the coconut milk in the soup. Not to forget the cilantro which repeats the fresh note of the lime juice and the sharpness of ginger. All different flavors are so well blended in the soup, but still to taste in the condiments. To make it short: do not chnage this recipe for a fantastic caribbean soup experience. Also cold an exciting dish, but it will thicken a little (add some cocomut milk or broth to compensate). If you visit the Caribbean, you will notice that there are far more than 5 stars to be seen in the sky and all are reserved for this soup. Thanks for sharing.