Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
Sweet Potato is a staple in the Caribbean Islands. It is used as a vegetable, as well as main ingredient in dessert recipes. Rita G. Springer was born in Barbados and educated there. Rita moved to England in 1964 and during her stay, gained the certificate in Nutrition awarded by the Royal Society of Health. In her recipe book entitled "Caribbean Cookbook", Rita presents "authentic recipes, unusual ingredients and exciting cooking"..(the Barbados Sun). I have a special love for Barbados and the people of Barbados and find myself quite frequently referring to the Caribbean Cookbook for dinner party menus. Cook time includes the time it takes to precook the sweet potatoes.
Top Review by gary7
sitting on the patio at the cassarina or watching the jolly roger sail past. Standing on the cliff's of North Point or climbing the highway toward bathsheba. This dish is barbados. (Happened to have some mount gay amber rum on hand to add authenticity) put it in the oven for 50 minutes in a 2qt glass casserole.
- 4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 grated lime, rind of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon seedless raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sweet potatoes in half, wrap in microwave-safe paper and cook on high power about 20 minutes; 1/4 turn every 5 minutes.
- Remove skin and mash in a large mixing bowl; discard skins.
- Preheat oven, 350 degrees F (180C or gas mark 4).
- To mashed sweet potatoes, add sugar gradually, mixing all the while.
- Add 2 whole eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in butter with a fork.
- Add milk, blend well.
- Mix in grated rind of lime and fresh lime juice.
- Add rum, and mix well.
- Sift together salt, baking powder and cinnamon; add sifted ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in raisins.
- Pour this mixture into a large greased pan or casserole dish and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until done.