Recipe by carolinagal05
I got this recipe from the Easy Home Cooking magazine. I like trying new and different things so I made this. The only thing I did differently when I made it was I added about four chicken tenderloins about 2oz each cut up into chunks. Also, I cooked this in about 1 1/2 hours in a pot rather than in the slow cooker as the redipe requests.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
I have been making this for years. I came across it under the meatless meals section of my "Secrets of Slow Cooking" cookbook. My meat loving husband would fall on the floor if I attempted to serve this meatless, so I added 1 pound of mild sausages and the juice of 1/2 a lime. Would you believe he has actually invited his buddies over to taste it....that's how much he likes it. My preferred hot sauce with this is Chipotle. Don't be thrown off by the cinnamon, it compliments the dish well. I have made it both with and without the Caribbean or Jerk seasoning and it tastes great!***Update***I made this last night with a whole pork tenderloin, WOW, I didn't think this could get better. Love it!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons jamaican jerk spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (best if toasted)
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If cooking in the slow cooker- combine all ingredients, except for almonds, in the slow cooker. Cover; cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high 2-3 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Then adjust seasonings and serve with almonds and hot pepper sauce if desired.
- To toast almonds spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- To cook on the stove, if you add any meats, cook those first, then add all ingredients to a large pot, bring up to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, simmer for 1-2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Use same directions for seasonings and hot sauce, but you can also toast your almonds in the microwave for 20-30 seconds in a bowl.