Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Almost every ethnicity includes a rice-and-beans dish as part of its cooking tradition. In Jamaica and throughout much of the Caribbean, the favored dish is known as "rice and peas," and is remarkable for its use of savory spices and coconut milk.
- Boil beans, garlic and salt until beans are tender.
- Reserve three cups of liquid from the boiled beans.
- Place beans and reserved liquid in a pot along with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring liquid to a boil; add rice; heat to boiling again.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until water has dried.
- Add beans to rice; stir well.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.