Tony Spataro's Note:
Almost every ethnicity includes a rice-and-beans dish as part of its cooking tradition. In Jamaica and throughout much of the Caribbean, the favored dish is known as "rice and peas," and is remarkable for its use of savory spices and coconut milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil beans, garlic and salt until beans are tender.
- 2Reserve three cups of liquid from the boiled beans.
- 3Place beans and reserved liquid in a pot along with all remaining ingredients.
- 4Bring liquid to a boil; add rice; heat to boiling again.
- 5Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until water has dried.
- 6Add beans to rice; stir well.
- 7Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean-Style Rice and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 784.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g