Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chicken with a coffe/rum glaze.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine sugar, ketchup, rum, lime juice, butter, ginger, coffee granules and allspice in small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; stir until coffee and sugar blend are dissolved. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Trim chicken of any visible fat. With sharp knife, make two diagonal slits about 1/2-inch deep on the top side of each breast.
- Combine garlic, oil, salt and pepper in small bowl. Rub mixture all over chicken. Arrange chicken slit-side-up on rack in shallow baking pan. Brush chicken with glaze; reserve remaining glaze. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil chicken for 5 minutes. Turn chicken over; coat with reserved glaze. Broil for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Turn chicken over again; coat with glaze. Broil for an additional 2 minutes or until tops are sizzling and brown.
I made this a couple of times. The ginger gives the chicken a nice flavor. This last time, I doubled the sauce and used chicken breasts with the bone in. Also, prior to cooking, I marinated the chicken with season salt, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic pepper, caynenne pepper, and italian seasoning. Instead of broiling, I baked at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. sprinkled the remaining sauce and broiled for about 10 minutes at the end. The chicken was flavorful and very moist. Will make again this way. Thanks for posting.
I grilled my chicken breast and also used a boned, skinless breast. Very good glaze and next time I think I will add some hot sauce to this. Quick and easy to do. Made for PAC '10.