Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Salt cod fritters are found throughout the Caribbean, with each island having its own variation. This recipe is the Jamaican version called Stamp & Go. Be sure to use the best quality salt cod you can buy and, if possible, the kind that is already skinned and boned...the boning process is extremely tedious. Prep time does not include soaking time. This recipe is from Caribbean Cooking by Judy Bastyra with my own tweeking. Add any or all spices to taste.
- 8 ounces salt cod fish
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 ounces milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely grated
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (aka habanero)
- oil (for deep frying)
- Soak the salt cod in water overnight. Drain, rinse well, place in saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and, when cool enough to handle, flake fish and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, spices and salt together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in egg, milk and melted butter. Mix together to make a smooth batter. Stir in onion, chilli and flaked fish and mix well. Add more or less flour/milk as needed to make a typical fritter batter --flours vary due to changes in humidity.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in large deep fryingpan until hot but not smoking. Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the oil, a few at a time, spaced well apart. Fry for 3-4 minutes, turning once or twice until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven while frying the remaining fritters. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce (I like seafood cocktail sauce). Number of servings really depends on how big you make the fritters.
- These fritters freeze well and can be defrosted and reheated in a 375 degree oven till just hot.