Recipe by b4uc1or2
An excellent side dish..from Health Discovery..a Weight Watcher support network.
Top Review by lifeiskarma
This was really good. I used vegetable stock instead of chicken, and left out the roasted red peppers (I didn't have any). I was going to say that while this was a good recipe it was a little bland and I used a lot of hot sauce, but I think if I had added roasted red peppers, it would have been a lot better. I loved it though because I'm a huge hot sauce lover anyway! :)
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 ounces bottled roasted red peppers, drained and cut in short thin strips
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, seeded and cut in short thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄4 lbs canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons oregano, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in rice.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute peppers and garlic 2 minutes.
- Stir in next 3 ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cilantro and serve.