Recipe by kevjenn
I had never had Basmati rice until I cooked this dish. My sister-in-law told me it had a fragrant flavor. She was right. I loved it and my family enjoyed it as well. I had to look at a grocery store that carried specialty items for some of the ingredients. You can substitute field peas for pigeon peas if you can't find them.
Top Review by loveandpeas
We really enjoyed this recipe. I made a couple of small changes, using a chicken stock cube, low-fat coconut milk and left out the parsley as I didnt have any. Otherwise it was simple and very tasty. Thanks for the recipe
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add rice and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in peas, parsley, lemon rind, and salt. Garnish if desired.