Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
In the Caribbean, coconut, mango, and rice are staples. They appear on menus in all kinds of forms. Combine them all in the same dish and you have something special. The sweetness of the mango and coconut makes this dish suitable for curries, chicken, fish , and pork, all common Caribbean ingredients. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 firm ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, minced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add coconut.
- Cook, stirring constantly until very lightly browned Add minced onion.
- Continue cooking and stirring 1 minute longer.
- Add rice, stir to coat.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 25 to 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in mango.
- Sprinkle with chives.
We had this with Sticky Ginger Lime and Chili chicken (Sticky Ginger, Lime and Chili Chicken) and it was a really good compliment. This makes a lot so next time I would halve the rice and chicken broth but keep the remaining ingredients the same. This would be good with some fresh cilantro too! Very good!
I made this to accompany chicken breast marinaded in a Caribbean jerk and broiled. I, also, used orange peel (1/2 teas) and skipped the mango because of my picky eaters. It was very good! 3 of my 4 boys ate it up and they are VERY PICKY! Definitely a keeper and something different.