Prep 30 mins
Cook 36 mins
From Cooking Light
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup long grain rice (Uncle Ben's)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3⁄4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Bring broth and coconut milk to a boil in a medium-size pan over med-high heat; add in rice.
- Cover, decrease heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed; remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in onion; stir/saute 5 minutes.
- Decrease heat to medium; add in squash; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in thyme and remaining ingredients; cook 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice to squash mixture, stirring to combine; serve.
I must admit I didn't have the squash but I'm glad because we liked it just fine with out it. I added one chopped jalapeno (seeds and all) and two cloves of smashed garlic to the onion. This turned out to be just the taste I was looking for. Different and delicious. This is now added to my Jerk Chicken dinner menu. Thanks!
This recipe is really delicious, healthy and easy. I make it often, and have found that using fresh thyme makes a difference (even though I'm not usually one to use fresh herbs).